Tuesday, December 22, 2009

More delays

Monday night we were awaiting the arrival of my nephew Geoff and his girlfriend Renee. They were expected to arrive around 6:45 p.m., but given that this has become the Gaeraths/Owens equivalent of a Griswold European vacation, of course they didn't arrive on schedule. Just like us, they were stranded in London, in the plane, on the tarmac. Except in their case, it was 4 hours. Added to the 5 hour layover they already had in London. So my experience of being stranded pales in comparison to theirs. My niece Carrie and cousin Christian just headed off to the airport so those two were stuck waiting at the airport for them. Geoff and Renee were renting a car, but Carrie and Christian went there to meet them in case there wasn't enough room for all of their luggage. About 10:45, Christian called to say that the rental car counter was closing at 11 and there would be no way Geoff would make it in time to pick up his rental car and he wasn't sure that there would be enough room in Christian's car for all of the luggage and four people. So off to Schiphol Airport went Christian's father Ewald, my brothers, and Erik, my cousin Wendy's husband. It's a good trek to the airport from my cousin Theresa's house, at least 1 1/2 hours, and that's in good weather. Finally, at 11:16 p.m., Geoff & Renee landed in Amsterdam and a about a half hour after that, they called to say that they were able to fit all of the luggage and the people in one vehicle. Luckily, Geoff & Renee are in the Air Force and probably have learned how to pack light! Soon they were on their way to Theresa's as were the guys, who were on the rescue mission. They had driven about halfway there and then had to come back!

Bill and I stayed at Theresa's until about 12:45 then walked on home. Can I just say that walking home at 12:45 a.m. in Holland is pretty darn cold! Thank goodness the walk to Wendy's house is only about three minutes! Once we got home, I still wasn't that tired so I ended up staying up with Wendy until about 3 a.m. It still took me a while to fall asleep, but once I did, I was out and didn't wake up until 10:45! All I could think about was how incredibly messed up I am going to be once I get home keeping hours like these! Good thing I have six days off before returning to work.

So at this minute, I am now back at Theresa's house. Everyone has gone different places with a few of us here at home: Bill went with Christian to the luxury car dealership that Christian once worked at (think Ferrari's)so Bill will think he has died and gone to heaven; Ewald took Geoff, Carrie, Renee and Victor to the Army base where he works, and my cousin Sandra went with Wendy back to Wendy's house to get a sled for the kids. It's hard keeping track of everyone. There's too many of them!

I haven't had a chance to post any pictures on the blog, but that is what I am going to do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment